Striving for Inclusion
Presented by PARITY & Sutherland Institute
PARITY & Sutherland Institute are partnering to host an event highlighting the inclusive nature of religion and religious freedom protections. The symposium will focus on how religion can have a unifying impact and how religious and political inclusivity is vital to local communities, states, and the nation. The symposium will include lunch and be followed by an optional Blessed by Difference workshop led by Parity. If you are interested in attending Blessed by Difference, please complete this additional registration.
Sutherland Institute will also launch its newest policy publication, Religious Liberty: Striving for Inclusion at this event. Sign up to download a free copy here.
KEYNOTE: Tim Schultz, President, 1st Amendment Partnership: As president of the 1st Amendment Partnership, Tim Schultz directs all aspects of the organization’s work, building faith alliances, guiding public policy and educating key influencers on religious freedom issues. Prior to the 1st Amendment Partnership, he served as State Legislative Director for the Ethics and Public Policy Center’s American Religious Freedom Program (ARFP). In that role, Schultz directed all of ARFP’s state policy initiatives, including developing and guiding coalition efforts to establish bipartisan religious freedom caucuses in 30 state legislatures. Schultz is widely viewed as a leading expert on religious freedom issues, with a particular focus on state policy issues. In his 15 years of experience developing state and federal policy, Schultz has testified before Congress and more than 15 state legislatures. Schultz is a leading expert on religious freedom issues, with a particular focus on state policy. Schultz is a former instructor at George Mason University and was a staffer in the Washington, D.C., office of Senator Bob Dole’s presidential campaign. He is a graduate of Kansas State University and Georgetown University Law School.
- Asma Uddin, Initiative on Security and Religious Freedom, UCLA Burkle Center for International Relations
- Nihal Singh, UC Berkeley
- Sharon Groves, Auburn Theological Seminary
- Howard Slugh, Jewish Coalition for Religious Liberty
- Moderator: Bill Duncan, Sutherland Institute
Religious Leader Panelists:
- Rev. Dr. Mark DeYmaz, Mosaic Church, Little Rock
- Rev. Dr. Janet Edwards, Presbyterian Church USA, Pittsburgh
- Dr. David Parker, Center for Creating Community, University of Utah
- Dr. Juliana Boerio-Goates, Professor Emerita of Chemistry at BYU, & Pastoral Coordinate at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church
- Elder Allen D. Haynie, General Authority Seventy, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Indra Neelameggham, Treasurer of the Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable
- Moderator: Reverend Marian Edmonds-Allen, PARITY
- 2022 Congressional Series: Rep. John Curtis
- Aug 03 2022
- 10:00 am - 11:00 am